Thursday, May 10, 2012

Overview

In this blog, I will be writing about James Joyce's Dubliners. I will write a short biography on James Joyce and closely analyze three of the short stories, "Eveline", "The Boarding House", and "A Little Cloud". First published in 1914, Dubliners is a collection of fifteen short stories written by James Joyce and describes the life in Dublin in the twentieth century. The stories were written during the rise of Irish Nationalism. The book starts out with child narrators, and as Dubliners progresses, the characters in the stories are older in age. I am focusing on three stories, and I will be deeply analyzing them. I found a common theme between the three short stories I am focusing on: being trapped in one's own life. In "Eveline", Eveline is trapped in Dublin, where she is most comfortable, despite her rough past. In "The Boarding House", Mr. Doran finds himself trapped into a marriage with Polly after one slip up with her. Lastly, in "A Little Cloud", Little Chandler finds himself trapped in his own boring life, lacking romance, adventure, and freedom. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment